JCCE: MPU Rental Information
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
Our Mobile Poultry Processing Unit (MPU) is available to rent!
367-A NC Highway 58 S, Trenton, NC 28585
Thanks to our NC State Extension Animal Agriculture Program Teams Workgroups, we were able to purchase a set of kill cones, a scalder, a dunker, and a plucker.
This purchase came about as needs assessments were done in the area and we received information that this equipment was needed to help farmers process their birds in a more efficient manner with the proper equipment, along with saving drive time to further away rentable units.
Recently, our office has purchased a trailer to house all of the equipment.
We are excited to house the MPU here in Jones County!
NC Choices also maintains a list of mobile processing units as well as MPU equipment for rent. Click here to view the list.
Please read this article entirely to ensure your rental request is approved and you don’t miss out on a date you requested! It is first-come first-serve!
Checks or EXACT cash only! No credit card payments. We do not carry monetary change. Checks can be made payable to NCCE – Jones County or Jones County Cooperative Extension.
Note: Pick-up and return dates must be during office hours
|One-day or Daily/Same-Day (Monday-Thursday only)
|Weekend (Fridays before 11 a.m. only)
Checks or EXACT cash only! No credit card payments. Checks can be made payable to NCCE – Jones County or Jones County Cooperative Extension.
- At pick-up you will need to sign the lease agreement, then we will have our county manager sign it, and a copy will be sent to you via email.
- At pick-up you will need to pay your rental fee.
- You are required to bring back the MPU clean and are responsible for any damage caused during your rental (also stated in the lease agreement).
You must review the following before submitting a rental request.
- The propane tank is NOT included – you will need to get one on your own.
- The MPU is housed in a trailer to be attached to your vehicle. To ensure the trailer does not tip – please keep it hooked up to the vehicle when unloading and loading up the equipment.
- The trailer will have the manual for Pro Plucker, the manual for the Scalder, MPU equipment, a hand truck/dolly, pictures of how the trailer’s equipment should be put back in the trailer, and our contact information for questions.
- Review this article from Consumer Reports: Preparation and Driving Tips for Safe Towing
Here are some helpful tips and answers to FAQ.
- Do I have to keep the trailer hooked up to the vehicle when unloading and loading up the equipment? Yes – this ensures the trailer does not tip.
- Do I have to use the hose attachment on the plucker? No – In fact, you can use your own personal hose to spray the water into the plucker. This has been the preferred method for our renters and agents.
- Will this equipment support the processing of turkeys? Depends – If the turkeys are on the smaller side, you do 1 turkey at a time in the plucker, and you make/buy your own kill cones it is possible to use it. (You can make your own turkey-sized kill cones by buying large traffic cones and cut them to size. In the future, we hope to add these to our available equipment.)
- Do you have any tutorials on how to use the equipment? Absolutely – Scroll down the the end of this article for all of our current Resouces.
You must review the following before submitting a rental request.
- All equipment in the trailer must be cleaned before returning – be sure to include enough time in your rental to clean.
- All locks must be back on the trailer before returning – be sure to lock the side door lock, back door lock, and the trailer hitch lock. There should be 3 locks total (2 silver and 1 yellow).
- Complete the Check-In Sheet (hard copies are located in the trailer, here online, or you can fill it out during the return).
- A staff member will review your Check-In sheet and inspect the trailer to ensure everything is documented correctly. If any issues come up we will reach out to you.
Take a look at our calendar below to see what dates are available to rent.
- Pick up the MPU + trailer on the first day of rental
- All dates with ‘busy‘ listed are booked by other clients or our office is closed.
- We are only accepting rental requests that are no more than 2 months in advance. Example: If the month is June we can accept any rental requests up until the end of August.
- Pick up/return date/time are within our office hours: MON-THURS 8 a.m.-5 p.m. & FRI 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Pick up/return dates cannot be during the weekend.
Additional Mobile Poultry Processing Units are available throughout North Carolina: Click here to view the list.
For questions regarding renting the unit, rental fees, or the lease agreement please contact our office at 252-448-9621, MON-THURS, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. & FRI 8 a.m.-12 p.m. or Emoni Burgess at email@example.com
- NC Choices, “an initiative of the Center for Environmental Farming Systems in collaboration with N.C. Cooperative Extension,” has a number of newly updated pages with meat and poultry processing resources:
Poultry Processing Resources From NC Choices
- Featherman Equipment’s website has How-To videos available on their website: Processing Tutorials by Featherman Equipment
- Our Area Specialized Poultry Agent, Margaret Ross, and Southeast District Family & Consumer Agent, Sarah Ware, have created some short videos on how to set up and use each piece of equipment: Processing Tutorials by Jones Extension